You are welcome here
We are a small and friendly congregation in the village of Croton-on-Hudson, NY only a few blocks from the Croton-Harmon Metro-North train station (map). We are conveniently located just off routes 9 and 9A in Croton. There is ample street parking nearby.
Our congregation is rooted in the Lutheran tradition and is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Our members come from a variety of Christian backgrounds and from many countries of the world. We serve Croton, Ossining, Peekskill, and the towns of Cortlandt and Yorktown.
We welcome all people at all stages of life. Our service is family-friendly and we have a convenient area for changing and addressing the needs of babies. Our facilities are handicapped accessible. Large print bulletins are available. Our awesome coffee hour after worship services will return when it is safe to do so.
Our mission is to offer spiritual grounding and growth by connecting with God and our community.
Our vision is to provide meaningful, well-attended, active, and growing worship, education, fellowship, and service opportunities.
The first gathering of people who would become the congregation of Our Saviour Evangelical Lutheran Church took place in 1933, the year Prohibition ended and the first year of Franklin Roosevelt’s administration.
In 1935, the church was accepted into the United Lutheran Synod of New York. For several years, though, the church had no permanent home. By Easter 1934, services were being held at the First Church of Christ, Scientist in Harmon. From there, the congregation moved to the Harmon Lodge, usually described by charter members as a saloon or bar. But the Lodge did provide a place for a normal Sunday morning schedule and for congregational events. Increasing rent caused services to be moved to a private home on Benedict Boulevard in 1937. The congregation worshipped there until the current church was built in 1939.
In 1963, the Parish Hall was dedicated for use by the Sunday School, youth programs, and the community. The Gotwald Parish Hall still houses Sunday School classes and provides a meeting place for local groups. The Link, the glass hallway connecting the Parish Hall to the original church structure, was dedicated in 1984.
The Church Council manages the affairs of the congregation. Current members are:
- John Magerlein, President
- Lee Ann McCarthy
- Sue Montgomery
- Estomih Mtui
- Susan Orts, Treasurer
- Karen Polacek, Secretary
- Jamie Polcari
- MaryBeth Soucy, Vice President
Our Pastor is the Rev. Justin Johnson.
Read more about Pastor Johnson…
Our Music Minister is Phill Greenland.
Read more about Phill…