One of the core values of Our Saviour is a focus on helping others. We are committed to helping locally within Croton and surrounding communities, nationally, and globally.
Locally, we offer our building space to recovery groups, hosting AA on Tuesday and Saturday nights and NA on Wednesday evenings. We are a polling site on election day and during the primaries. We welcome other groups who fit our mission and values to also use our building regularly. We also donate 20% of all of our Christmas Fair and Yard Sale donations to a local nonprofit group.
Other local groups we support financially are:
- Croton Caring Committee
- Croton-Cortlandt Food Pantry
- Ossining IFCA
- Ossining Women’s Shelter
- Pinecrest Camp
Each week, a group of crafters comes together to create quilts, school bags, face masks, and items for baby care kits. These items are created to be distributed through Lutheran World Relief, which focuses on getting people around the world help when they most need it. We try to follow this schedule annually:
- Baby care kits at Christmas time
- Quilts and health care kits are made throughout the year, but are on display and distributed in the spring.
- School bags at the end of summer
We also support Lutheran Social Services of NY, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, and its Metropolitan NY Synod. Every Christmas, we support Seafarers International House by creating Christmas-at-Sea gift satchels. We also do a letter writing campaign for Bread for the World, a group dedicated to helping those who need food.
Every group we support is part of our mission and our values. We carefully review all groups each year, while looking for other ways we can help, either financially or through our activity in the community.
God’s Work. Our Hands.
On September 12 we were delighted to join with over 9100 ELCA congregations participating in “God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday. Across the country, thousands of members engaged in service work to have a positive effect in our communities, build and deepen relationships, and share God’s love.
- We collected and donated 224 pounds of rice and 159 cans of beans to Padres Hispanos in Ossining, far exceeding our goal of 40 pounds of rice and 100 cans of beans. We learned that Padres Hispanos has just graduated a class of 27 certified home health aides, ready for placement.
- During our worship service, we blessed 38 quilts, 22 baby care kits, 140 health care kits, and 46 school kits completed throughout the past year for Lutheran World Relief.
- Members wrote letters to Congress advocating for food security, housing, and protecting the environment.